Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom

     Hana-Kimi is a solid 23 volume series published by VIZ Media and also happens to be one of the first manga series I read.

     The story is about a girl named Mizuki Ashiya who moves to Japan disguised as a boy in order to enter the all-boys high school of her most admired high jumper; Izumi Sano. When she arrives, she not only scores a seat in the same classroom but also ends up sharing a room with him. But her luck seems to end there when Sano accidentally discovers her secret. Of course, the story doesn't end there...that would be silly.

     Anyway, the first thing that caught my eye about this series was the art. Hisaya Nakajo does a fantastic job throughout the entire set. The illustrations are clean and attractive with certain characteristics that really make her art unique. The story itself (also written by her) is hilarious but with it's serious and sweet moments. Because Mizuki is a transfer student from America, various cultural differences between the two countries are not only mentioned but are incorporated into the plot, making it that much more interesting. The story never gets boring and every volume always leaves you wanting more. The other characters all have their own roles too and you learn a little more about each of them, which makes them so much more than just 'extras' or 'comic relief'. Overall, I loved this series. It's really a great story to read on rainy days and sunny days alike. Every book I finished, left me smiling and excited for the rest of the day. I recommended Hana-Kimi to those of you looking for a smile and a story you'll never mind reading over and over again. 

Well that was my first time reviewing anything. I'll get better eventually so look forward to my next post and feel free to give me any feedback or your own opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment